Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Playing with Color

Over the last several weeks, I have been working on a deco mesh wreath for my front door.  It started as a project for spring but then I fell in love with the pink and orange striped deco mesh from Hobby Lobby.  I knew it would be perfect for summer but I wanted to create one wreath for both seasons.  It needed to have accents for both spring and summer.

I started working on it in late March but could not locate the perfect shade of green ribbon.  I made several trips to various craft stores but the strong pink and orange colors overpowered most light or lime green ribbons that I found and made them appear yellow and washed out.  I finally found a thick, double-sided satin ribbon that I think is working.  It’s green on one side and aqua blue on the other.  The blue does not really show but even if it does, I believe it will tie in the floral print ribbon as it has a similar shade of blue.  The only problem seems to be that it is a non-wired ribbon and does tend to flop about a bit more than a wired ribbon.  But, overall, I think it goes well with the pink and orange mesh and yellow sunflowers.  I found a few light green hydrangea flowers that I separated and added to the wreath to help tone down the overwhelming pinkness of it all.

My spring/summer deco mesh wreath

I have not glued it in place yet but I think I'm about ready to do so and get it up on my front door!  If I don't, spring will be gone!  As we say in the cross-stitching world, I don't want this WIP (work-in-progress) to become a UFO (unfinished object)!  What do you think of the green highlights?  Does it work?

1 comment:

  1. With all that pink, my mother would love this! :)

    Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete