Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rainy Weekend Projects

This weekend was one of cooler temperatures, windy conditions, and almost 4 inches of rain.  There were areas of local flooding, overturned trees and power lines, and rising rivers and streams.  But…aside from these nasty problems some unfortunate people were dealing with, it was also the perfect weather to make you want to stay inside and work on crafts!  And that’s exactly what I did!

I did venture out on Friday afternoon after work to meet a friend at a local Hobby Lobby store.  She’s putting together two deco mesh wreaths for her mom and mother-in-law for the upcoming Mother’s Day holiday.  I met her to help pick out accessories to add to both wreaths.  She already had a good idea of what she wanted to do, including the base colors, but needed help deciding on how to make each more cohesive.  We wore out the floor walking back and forth in that store, pushing a cart around for almost two hours.  Two.  Hours.  Now, I like Hobby Lobby as much as the next crafty girl but that was a really long time to be in one shop!  But…we did get everything she needed to work on her projects this weekend and I think her mom and mother-in-law will be very surprised.

After dinner Friday night, I ventured over to her house to help her get started.  One wreath is a really cute ladybug-themed project with a punch of yellow to add some additional color.  (I may have to do one myself!)  The other is a jewel-toned, wine-themed wreath for a dining room.  It’s really large and includes a photo frame to hold a family portrait.  I think both ladies will be very pleased.  I was glad that I could assist and see her ideas begin to spring to life.  I can’t wait to see what they look like when finished.

Moving along

Saturday and Sunday were my “hermit” days.  I didn’t set foot out of my house on either day.  I had everything I needed at home:  cross-stitch, craft and garden magazines, movies, my fur-babies, and my awesome hubby.  In between a lot of reading and movie-watching, I mostly worked on the small cross-stitch design that I started last week to try to make it into a card.  It’s the one on the bright lime green Aida fabric and uses the bright, funky bird pattern.  I got quite a bit completed and I’m thinking I may give it to my mother-in-law for Mother’s Day.  She and my younger brother-in-law will be visiting from out of town this coming weekend.  I’m hoping to finish it by Friday.  I already have the card making supplies but I really need to find something unique to write on the inside of the card.  Hmmm….

As a side note, today is the fifth of May, a Mexican holiday known as Cinco de Mayo.  Per Wikipedia, “it is celebrated in the U.S. and in parts of Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla.  It originated with Mexican-American communities in the American West as a way to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War, and today the date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.  In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.”
Happy Cinco de Mayo to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment