Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Coping with Addiction

My name is Raquel and I'm a craftoholic.

They say the first step on the road to recovery is to admit you have a problem.  Well, I guess mine is crafts!  Although...I'm not so sure I'm ready to admit that I have a mild obsession with crafting.  Ok.  Maybe more than mild.  A little more anyway.

I've been crafting since I was a young child but I'm not going to tell you how long ago that was!  Let's just say...it's been a few years.  My mom is a very creative person and she passed along her love for cross-stitching, drawing, and general crafts to me.  I just wish I could draw.  LOL.  I began cross-stitching at age 4 and finished my first sizable piece in the 1st grade as a class show-and-tell project.  It was a small puppy and I still think I have that piece somewhere in the house.  Hmmm...may have to look for it.

As I got older, I still cross-stitched, but I started looking for other projects to work on.  I began working with photography, taking photos of everything.  I became our family's unofficial photographer because I always had a camera in my hand during special occasions, vacations, and events.  Now that I think about it...I still do that even today.  LOL!

In high school, I started making my own scrapbooks using those old photo albums with the "sticky" pages and plastic film that held the photos and items in place.  As the art of scrapbooking caught on to the public and became much, much wider spread, I developed a love for all of the wonderful new products and began capturing all of life's moments into album after album.  My bookshelves are full.

During my college years and into the adult working life of my early 20s, I fell away from cross-stitching and crafting in general.  I did, however, continue to work with my photography.  I fell in love, married a wonderful man, and settled into a routine.  It was at this time that I started exploring crafting once more.

Over the years, I taught myself to crochet, at least the basic scarf, and to complete beautiful embroidery work called Hardanger.  I am by no means an expert in either craft but I enjoy keeping up with basic stitches.  I've taken classes in quilting and I've finished a few pieces in stained glasswork.  I even created fused glass necklaces for Christmas gifts a couple of years ago.  My latest projects have been working with fabric and deco mesh to create beautiful holiday and seasonal wreaths.

Today, I am the owner and designer of Calico Craft Designs, a small Etsy-based storefront that currently focuses on fabric "rag" wreaths and candle-rings.  I am also exploring the possibility of adding deco mesh wreaths to the shop as well as many other small craft items.

So, I am Raquel and I am a craftoholic.  And, I'm truly ok with that and wouldn't have it any other way!

1 comment:

  1. I can so relate to that! I am an addict like many others out in the blogging/closet worlds. I attempted to give up cross stitch for just over a month last year in view of other commitments ... ended up having nightmares about floss and fabric going missing and waking up in sweat. I still haven't grasped the etsy and how to sell/shop on it (decided to look into it 2 years ago, but the website was so slow I just gave up). Will probably need to check it out some time.

    ReplyDelete