Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Stitching for Charity

Several weeks ago, I was sitting around at home trying to decide what I should cross-stitch next.  I have several WIPs (work in progress) but didn't really feel like working on any of them.  Hence, why they are still WIPs.  ;-)  I get the distinct impression that my family is getting a little tired of receiving cross-stitch items from me every year for Christmas so I needed an outlet for my craft.  I did a little searching on the wide, wide web and found a Yahoo! group that makes quilts, tote bags, bookmarks, and cards out of small cross-stitch pieces.  These are usually made for seniors at a care facility or for sick or disabled kids.  I decided, after very little thought, that I would sign up!

World of Charity Stitching!  The group welcomed me with open arms.  Everyone has been so friendly and helpful in getting me started on my first project.  I signed up to stitch the "Brush Stroke Butterfly", a pattern designed by the ladies at StitchingtheNightAway.com.  The pattern was to be stitched on white aida cloth or evenweave and I could choose any color combination that I liked.  My favorite color is blue, of any tone or variety, so of course, my butterfly had to be blue.  I complimented the blues with orange and brown, adding a bit of green for the foliage.  I think it came out pretty cool.  The pattern is easy with only whole stitches and no backstitching at all.  It was a great pattern and I'm thinking of stitching another one in pinks and purples for a friend's 4-year old daughter.

Needless to say, I have finished the butterfly and have moved on to the next pattern.  I signed up yesterday for a wild animal theme that will be for a child's quilt.  I found a cute porcupine pattern that I started working on.  I'll post a photo of it later once I get a little more work completed.

If you decide that you too would like to join a charity cross-stitching group, I recommend that you check out the World of Charity Stitching Blog at http://www.worldofcharitystitching.blogspot.com/ or search for their page on Facebook.  I'd love to see you in the group!

No comments:

Post a Comment