Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Hardanger Wedding Gift

Hardanger embroidery, also called cut work, was named after a town in Norway called Hardanger.  It is a type of embroidery featured in local attire and is still seen today.  It is traditionally worked with white thread on white even-weave fabric.  For this reason, it is also commonly referred to as whitework embroidery.  Several years ago, I taught myself the basics of this beautiful art form.  I haven't completed any Hardanger projects in a while and when I found out that Kelley, a friend of mine at work is getting married in May, I decided to dust off my skills and put them to use.  I haven't known Kelley very long but we just seem to "click".  We have a lot in common, including a love of crafts and the fact that we attempt to do some gardening.  Notice I said "attempt". ;-)  Kelley is getting married in about three weeks and I have been working on a small Hardanger design for her as a gift.

I found out that her bridesmaids' dresses will be a shade of aqua blue and her flowers are going to be white.  I decided to use a variegated blue DMC No.5 Pearl Cotton thread to accent the Hardanger pattern and a piece of aqua blue silk fabric behind the finished design so that the color will show through the openings in the fabric.  The remaining threads and even-weave fabric color are white.  I have been having a little trouble finding just the right font for the names and wedding date but I'll be using DMC Cotton Embroidery Floss in a similar shade of blue once I decide on a selection. 

I'm almost finished with the design.  I really just have to focus on wrapping all of the bars and completing the lettering.  This pattern was found in "Hardanger Embroidery" by Jill Carter.  It's simply called "Pincushion" as it's one of the many projects outlined in the book.  I modified it just slightly to make it more of my own and to make sure I could complete the stitches.  I am a beginner after all and wanted to stick with the basics.  I also used 22-count fabric instead of the 28-count that the pattern called for to make the finished design just a bit larger.  I really hope that Kelley enjoys it once it is framed and ready to hang in their new home.  I'll keep you posted on my progress!  Happy Stitching! 
 

1 comment:

  1. This is stunning, Raquel. I am sure that Kelley will treasure it always as the friendship gift it truly is.

    ReplyDelete