Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A New Addiction? Hmmm...Maybe

For the first week after my husband's surgery, my mother-in-law came to stay with us and help out any way she could.  Now, unlike some unfortunate wives, I have a great mother-in-law and enjoy her company.  We actually have a lot in common but the most obvious is our love of crafts.  So of course, since she was going to be staying with us for a week, she brought along a couple of projects that she has been working on, one of which is a latch-hook rug.

Now I've seen the standard latch-hook rug kits in Hobby Lobby in the past but I've never actually tried one.  Most of the time, the available kits are more simplistic patterns like smiley faces, tie die spirals, ladybugs, etc.  I was looking for something a little less cartoon-ish or child centric.  Before ordering online, however, I decided to go ahead and see what kits were available at Hobby Lobby since it had been quite some time since I last checked.  Much to my surprise, I found a really pretty kit of Daisies and Poppies.  I snatched it off the shelf (it was the last one) and headed home with it and my brand new straight latch hook.
 
I started separating the threads of yarn as soon as I got home and realized just how big my new project is going to be.  There's a LOT of small pre-cut yarn pieces in the box!  My Daisies and Poppies rug is going to be approximately 36 inches by 30 inches.  Pretty good size for my very first latch hook project!  Apparently, in this case, I didn't believe in starting out small!

 My mother-in-law was nice enough to help me get started and showed me how to use the latch hook.  I'm still trying to figure out how I want to proceed with completing the design.  My mother-in-law prefers to work one column at a time while the directions state to move horizonally, row by row.  I actually think I am going to try doing small blocks at a time but that may change as I move along.  If anyone has ever tried this craft, I'd love to hear how you prefer to proceed through the pattern.

My Handsome Pip...
...And sweet Casey
Oh, and I would be a terrible fur-mommy if I didn't mention that my sweet Casey and handsome Pip also helped with my new project.  Pip especially loved the yarn and had to make sure that I was separating the colors correctly!

I'm not sure just yet if this will be my newest craft obsession/addiction but I definitely am looking forward to seeing how my rug progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment