Welcome to "The Girl's Gone Crafty!" blog about all things, well, crafty, of course! My name is Raquel, owner of Calico Craft Designs, and lover of all things Craft. I hope that you too will join me on my journey to finishing one more UFO (unfinished object), stitching for charity, and just learning more about the wonderful crafts available out there.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Charity Stitching - Cat Pillow

So today I signed up for a really cute cat pillow through the World of Charity Stitching (WOCS) Yahoo group.  You cross-stitch the face and a small message that says "Hug Me" and it gets sewn into a cat-shaped pillow body.  I started on it right away as I'm excited to see how it turns out!
Previous pillows made by WOCS' members in 2012
My Starting Point

The pattern was created by one of the group members and we're currently working on several to hand out at a retirement facility.  I am not normally one that enjoys stitching on Aida cloth as I find it way too stiff but it is a requirement for this particular project.  I chose a 14 count fabric from Charles Craft called "Platinum".  I went back and forth on what color to make the eyes but I chose a seafoam green/blue.  I chose a pretty pink for the ears and I have another, lighter pink picked out for the nose.  The design includes two flowers just outside of the design that almost look like cheeks.  I'm still trying to decide on what color to make the flowers but I'm leaning toward a peachy/coral.  The matching message will be in the same colors and I'll have to find a coordinating fabric for the body.  Unfortunately, I cannot sew at all (one talent I never acquired) so my cat will be put together by one of the ladies in the group.  I'm even thinking about doing a second one!  I can't wait to see what they look like when finished!  I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment